Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Birthday Gift

IT'S MY BIRTHDAY!!!! I'm super excited to have made it to 21 (my 16th year of it LOL!). Anyhow although I'm usually low key on my Bday. My Hubby and Daughter were awesome giving me the sweetest gifts---you know one of them was a gift card to a fabric store---they really know me well! Again, I'm usually low key but I do like to use my bday as an excuse to do something a little special for myself.  You know do a little personal pampering and buy myself something special---usually a sewing item I've been coveting. We'll I've had a particular item on my Wishlist---dating back to when I worked on the Ballet costumes last September. I've become a bit of a notions snob since working on that project. I LOVE the supplies costumers work with and after using this item FELL IN LOVE! Well let me reveal...................drumroll please.................
The item I've been wanting forever (ok, it's only been a few months but that's how badly I've been wanting it).................is...............
                                Photo courtesy of RichardtheThread.com

Wax Tracing Paper link

Wax Tracing Paper! Now wait, before you get all unimpressed let me just tell you it's not your "run of the mill" tracing paper. Most people use the tiny Dritz strips they get at their local fabric store. No this is MUCH different. These sheets first of all are HUGE---26X39. And it works EXCEPTIONALLY well. The wax markings are amazing (thicker and not chalky since they're really wax) and don't leave residues all over your fabric.  They are either $15 or $17 a sheet dependent upon which color you get.  ETA 2/17/16--- you get 3 sheets for those prices not just 1 :)

The Light blue is $17 and it's really popular! It and White are the 2 colors I worked with and pretty much great to have since you can use the blue wax paper on white and other light colors and use the white on darker colors. You pretty much have all bases covered. They also last a LONGGGGGG time. I worked with Mrs. Pat on the project and she'd had hers for a few years. It was evident they were well used since you could see all the markings on them but they still worked like a charm. Again I loved working with them and am impressed with the results so they're absolutely a worthy investment. They're excellent when doing your usual markings (darts, pleats, etc) but they're great as a whole when working with sheers. You can trace out full pattern pieces and prevent shifting. I'm going to get several sheets and come back in the near future to demo how great they are to use.  Have you tried these sheets? Do you use wax tracing paper in your sewing projects?

20 comments:

  1. Great tip Victoria! Who knew!!! And, please pardon my manners, HAPPY BIRTHDAY SWEET LADY! May you enjoy many more years of Sweet 16!!! 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy birthday. Btw, how many hours do you have in?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday. Btw, how many hours do you have in?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ups, I forgot to answer your question; yes, I also use those large sheets of waxed paper (got mine from Susankhalje.com)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes I have a large red one. I've cut a long 4" wide strip off one end which works very well for most markings. I use it mostly for tracing patterns as the markings don't come off fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally get your excitement. I bought these a couple of years back and I shared with some sewing friends by cutting off pieces of 10 by 12 ".I kept full lengths . I think mine were 24 "lon.I have red, white and yellow because blue wasn't in stock at the time. I forget where I got them though. I think they'll probably last me the rest of my life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Birthday! and thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Birthday Victoria and many blessed more. Thanks for sharing the wax tracing papers. Aside, I use those strips of tracing paper to trace out images on my canvas...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use the Saral paper. It works really well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy Birthday and Best Wishes for a great year. Thanks for the review and recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy birthday fellow winter child!
    I could never figure out why people used tracing wheels until I stumbled onto the wax tracing paper. I wouldn't use it on clothes construction, but for taking patterns from existing clothes it has no peer. It has made copying clients' beloved stuff easy peasy! I picked up stacks at an estate sale and I am set for life (it does not go bad!)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy belated birthday, Victoria! I hope you enjoyed your day! I love using wax tracing paper and have been using it most of my sewing life and never heard of these larger papers! Thank you so much for highlighting and sharing the link!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Birthday! I really appreciate this recommendation. I brought some some of the small tracing paper wannabes from Hancock. I will be ordering some and thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have this tracing paper and while good it's unfortunately not as wonderful as the large sheets I used to get from Greenberg and Hammer in NYC. I've got a great tip to make it last longer that Kenneth King shared in a class I took with him. He coats the back of each sheet with clear packing tape. It prevents it from tearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Thanks Nancy for the great tip. I've been using these for years to trace patterns.

      Delete
  15. Thank you for your post. I've been looking for more of this paper for years

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails