Thursday, March 5, 2015

The Joys of Being a Fashion Design Student.....

In between clients and trying to take advantage of the extra week I've given myself the "Fearless February Challenge" I'm having to do homework for the Style Design College Fashion Design Certificate Program. Although I'm mostly self-taught when it comes to sewing and am being mentored by Gentleman Jim, a Master Tailor (extremely talented) since I'm shifting into fashion design I thought it would be good to gain some perspective from the field. Plus I like formal learning. Truth be told I consider myself a perpetual student so I'm always learning whether in or out of school. But I always like being in school for some reason---always have. Anyhow I'm enjoying the program so far. This is homework for module 2 which deals with Colour Analysis and one of the assignments is to recreate the color wheel using the primary colors.
(Working on making my color wheel for homework)

 I LOVE color and am amazed at how much I didn't know about it and the difference between terms such as tint, shade and tone and so on and so forth. This particular assignment was a little more challenging then I initially thought and I enjoyed the challenge. I  didn't cheat, I used only the 3 primary colors to make all the rest.  I learned a great deal. I'll be doing various coursework through the year and will check in from time to time to tell you about it. I'm curious, has anyone else done the SDC Fashion Design Fashion Design Degree or Certificate Program. I'd love to hear of your experiences. I've only been signed up for a few months so this newbie would love your feedback!

8 comments:

  1. Victoria, you'll learn so much!! I completed a cert 4 in fashion design in 2005. I did do one year of the Diploma, but didn't complete it. We completed sewing modules - completed samples (3) of each technique, fashion design, ohs, pattern design, pattern grading (manual, machine and computer), pattern cutting and laying up, fitting, fabric analysis, marker making, mood boards, and quite a few other smaller modules. We used 3rd edition of the winifred aldrich pattern making book (metric). All our drafts were done full scale and in 5th scale and same for all pattern grading work. The 5th scales became notes. We were supposed to have completed a full set of blocks in cardboard, graded up - bodice, sleeve, pants, skirt, dress. The School ran out of the cardboard, so my blocks are in size 10 - and the larger sizes still in draft form. All blocks were replicated in 5th scale as well. A book you might find useful is "fashion design manual" by pamela Stecker. We also had to complete extremely accurate line drawings of designs /croquis and of course everything was toiled (muslined) thankfully, we didn't have to do that in 5th scale!! I'm disappointed that i missed out on draping and corsetry - those became diploma subjects in the 2nd year and i had already left then. We also had to create paperwork for all designs, created our own design charts, spec sheets etc. i think my favourite subjects were sewing and pattern making. Good luck and have fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice to see things progressing for you. I have never heard of this college before, I think I might need to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Victoria! I too am an advocate for continued education! I never went to college but pushed for all three of my children go to college! I was one of those moms that said you're going to have better than I did and they did! It's always been a dream of mine to go to design school but never had enough time to actually go to a physical college. The benefit of living here in Tampa is the international design school is based here. I actually went to the college to purchase tickets for their annual fashion show (Showcasing their students talents) and when I walked through the door I felt like I was home! All the beautiful fabrics and articles of clothing that was displayed in glass cases, made by students was not overwhelming, but more welcoming to me! Because the schedules didn't match my work schedule (and my budget), I was always looking for an online school where I could get the same type of education without the brick-and-mortar school. Thanks to you, I may now have a chance… Remember you're never too old to learn! Thank you so much for this great review and good luck to you! P. S. I'm checking out the school now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this! I am so excited for you! I hope you enjoy every minute of this process and take advantage of every project you do! I do have my BA in Apparel Design and for the last 3 years have been toying with the idea of getting my Masters, which would allow me to teach at the college level. I love being a student as well, but I have found in my current job, as a Technical Designer, that I love teaching more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just signed up for this course! I can't wait to start. I was on the fence about it until I read your post. Thanks for the push (you never know how you can influence people ;))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AWESOME Trumbelina! Sorry I didn't respond earlier but yes I did get the Groupon deal--for $39 I think (I failed to mention in the post). Yes, I got my first grade back on the color analysis work (which was the color wheel and a research report with photos of garments reflection various color catergories) and scored an A. Pretty stoked about that. I turn in my fashion illustration drawings on tomorrow and am starting the next module which looks at understanding body types and picking the correct clothes for each shape. I'm loving it so far. The tutors have been great and immediately respond back to my questions. I'm even looking forward to all the pattern manipulation work at the end---I'm draping & have technically been doing some of that stuff. ANYHOW please Enjoy your course. I know you will do well:) BTW, just discovered your blog so I'm following it now. Take care *hugs*

      Delete
    2. Thanks for following me! The course sounds like a lot of fun. I haven't been in school for so long I'm hoping I can muster the self discipline to get the work done. You take care too!

      Delete

Thanks so much for taking the time to leave a comment and for following me on my 10,000 Hour Sewing Challenge:)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails